Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Not Friday Flashback!

I know it's not Friday, but I wanted to post this while I was thinking about it (and could). I'll be out of town celebrating the 4th of July this Friday - so it's a little early :)!

I was reading the Lifestyle magazine that comes out in the AV Press a few weeks ago and I saw this picture of the old Antelope Theater and A.V. Bowl that used to be where the Lancaster Performing Arts Center (LPAC) sits now.

I have so many memories of going to movies in that old theater - back before going to the movies was just about the ONLY fun thing to do in the Antelope Valley. Back then I think there was this one theater in Lancaster and I believe there was another one in Palmdale. That was back before Cinemark Theaters invaded the valley with the Movies 1-4, then came Movies 5-7, Movies West, Movies 1-9 (I think that's what the one in Palmdale was called), Movies 12, Movies 22, Movies at the Mall (two different ones here - don't know how many theaters the new one at the mall has). You get the point. I think the old Antelope Theater had two theaters if my memory serves me correctly (which isn't always reliable these days - sucks getting "old" ;-) hehe!). My how things have changed.

I also have many fond memories of hanging out at AV Bowl with my parents and Grandpa Leo on Friday nights watching them bowl in a league. It was the late league, so I think it started around 9pm and it was always a battle to keep myself awake for the whole thing. I think it usually ended around 11pm – but I thought it was “really cool” hanging out at the bowling alley with all the adults instead of being at home with the rest of the kids. This was back when bowling alley's were FILLED with cigarette smoke - ugh! How did we breathe :)! It's so nice going bowling now in alley’s that aren’t filled with smoke - major improvement.

Anyway - here is the picture. I scanned this out of the AV Press Lifestyle Magazine. This is what started this crazy trip down memory lane....



P.S. I don't think this is what the cars looked like when I was going there - I'm not THAT old ;-)!

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Cool flashback Kerry. I too have so many memories of these older places, like waiting FOREVER for a movie to actually get to us. Can't remember what the Palmdale walk in movie theatre was called, probably just Palmdale theatre. I also remember going to the Lancaster, Jet, and Palmdale Drive-In's, boy does that date me!

C Schultz said...

Holy Cow! That was the movie theatre that I went to with Susie Patnode and her mom! I think we saw Poltergeist, and I was pretty young and it scared the crap out of me! I was so scared in fact, that later that night I asked her mom if you can die from being really scared. Not knowing that I was terrified by that movie, she said yes.... So I was scared of the movie and I thought I might die from fright. Nice!

Lori said...

Remember "cruising the Boulevard"??? That was so cool. I remember when they banned it and it was so weird to go down the empty street on a Friday night.