Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Freedom, Music, Dancing, and Baseball - what more could we ask for :)!?

First we wanted to share a little New York culture. There is actually some very artistic and pretty looking graffiti. We saw this area on the way in to town on the subway and were amazed. This “art” is several blocks long and it’s actually quite visually appealing for graffiti so I just had to have a picture. In the subway stations and around town, there are all types of street performers. Many homeless playing some sort of makeshift musical instrument, but this group was actually quite entertaining. There were about 6 guys taking turns doing all different kinds of dance moves to music and it was fun to watch – we actually stopped for this one.


Today we visited Liberty Island and Ellis Island. Man – the security to get on that ferry was about the same as going through security at the airport. But considering what we were visiting, I suppose it’s understandable. It was neat to see the Statue of Liberty up close and personal on Liberty Island. After that we took the ferry over to Ellis Island. We could have easily spent an entire day going through everything that’s in the old immigration center, which is now a museum. Amazing is all I can say – sure makes me want to learn more about it.

We also toured the Radio City Music Hall today. This place is so neat – makes me want to go see a show there, but unfortunately we don’t have time to fit that in to the rest of our schedule. The inside of this theater is very beautiful. We were able to see the actual music hall from above, but weren’t allowed to take pictures of the inside because they were setting up for a show tonight – but I got a picture of what it looks like. Trevor got to put his arm around a real live Radio City Rockette ;-)! She was modeling one of the many uniforms they wear. Pretty neat tour.

And, of course, we had to visit Yankee Stadium while we are here. This is also the final season for Yankee Stadium - there are only 55 regular season games left and then “The House that Ruth Built” will be torn down. The top picture is of the new stadium that is being built right across the street from the old Yankee Stadium. It is quite impressive looking and Trevor thinks it looks like the Colosseum. It’s sad to see these historic ballparks being torn down (Shea and Yankee Stadiums), however, after attending games at a few of the more “modern” stadiums – I can certainly see the benefits of having new stadiums.

I hope you can see these collages ok when you click to view them bigger. They load so much faster than trying to upload each of these pictures one by one. Hope you're enjoying the updates. This is a good way for me to put my thoughts down about our trip because I know when we get home we'll get busy getting back in to our usual routine and some of the finer details will be lost if I don't get them down while they are fresh :)!

One more day of sight seeing - then we'll be headed back home....

Enjoy!

5 comments:

jbaccus said...

I have always heard that there are some very talented graffitti artists in New York and it looks like it is true. I saw a video once of one of the guys painting like that and it is amazing to watch them start with a blank wall and in less than an hour have a full color mural. Not just a bunch of gang sign lettering. Very Cool.

Have you guys made it over to Time Square yet?

This is great that you are able to document your trip like this. I am going to have to do this when the kids and I goto Colorado this summer. I am trying to get mine to work when submitting from my cell phone. Your supposed to be able to shoot some photos and send text via an email from your phone and it will post to the blog. Haven't been able to get it work yet. But I am going to keep trying.

C Schultz said...

Wow Kerry! I love these photo's! I'm glad you have had so much fun in New York. Andrea and I were talking and she said that you touring around and using the public transportation there probably helped you with this particular trip. Next Year when we head to D.C. I'll have to do a similar blog.

C Schultz said...

Sorry, I should I read through that comment before posting.... I meant when you were touring in Japan.. :-)

Ukulele Blake said...

Trevor....YOUR SPOILED.
Kerry..... You Spoil yourself all too well.

Glad you've had a BLAST

Kerry Schultz said...

Christine,
I knew what you meant. I'll tell you that our trip to Japan and Blake's "Subway Lessons" defintely made things alot easier for us here. We would have been semi-lost, at least in the beginning, without it for sure... It's really overwhelming at times when the stations are super busy and such. People running all over the place in 20 different directions. Crazy! But, so nice to be able to go wherever you want to go with no car. Driving here would be totally frustrating and useless. Cars don't go anywhere quickly.